Date:      02 Jun 2000 09:17:17 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@uucom.com>
To:        "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com>
Cc:        "BSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Tape backup recommendation

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 01:05:46 -0700, "Hank Wethington" <bsd@info-logix.com> said:

Hank> Greetings, I'm looking to purchase a tape backup system for my
Hank> BSD3.4 box. I'd like to be able to back up a 18 GB drive. I've
Hank> looked at TRAVAN and at DAT. Besides the speeds should I be
Hank> worried about anything?

Hank> As price is a major concern, the Travan 20 GB SCSI drives look
Hank> great, but has anyone had any issues using these in a BSD box?
Hank> Both the Seagate and HP drives does not say that BSD is
Hank> supported (but then again, most things that are don't say they
Hank> are). Is anyone using these? Any other recommendations?

I've got one of the Travan 4/8GB drives but when I found a 4xDDS2
changer I started using that instead. Mostly, the Travan media is
*way* too expensive, like $30 for the 4/8GB, versus $5 for the
equivalent DDS2. And after just a few uses my drive must have missed
the end-of-tape mark on the Travan and unwound all the tape off one of
the spools; I had to through it out; at $30 it this was rather
annoying.

You might look at AIT and DLT but they're still too expensive. Would
overstock or refurb units be OK? I got a couple 4xDDS2 changers from
www.ez-systems.com and really like them. Automating backups is
*critical* IMHO because otherwise they won't get done. Amanda can
operate jukes via FreeBSD's "chio" driver; way cool.

Oh, make sure whatever drive you get is SCSI.