Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2006 09:09:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Danial Thom <danial_thom@yahoo.com>
To:        Mark <admin@asarian-host.net>, 'FreeBSD-Questions Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Does FreeBSD 4.11-STABLE support the 8237R?

--- Mark <admin@asarian-host.net> wrote:

> [...]

Well that's just stupid, but you're entitled to
waste your money in any way you choose. We run
FreeBSD 4.9 and I've never had a problem with
hardware. Of course I know how to choose hardware
and you don't :)

I never said "desktop". The MB isn't really
suitable for anything that uses a LAN
extensively.

Knowing ASUS (whose MBs I'd never use, btw), I'd
guess that the ethernet controller on the P4WD2
is connected to a 1x PCIe which would be a joke.

What you don't "get":

- The slower the bus, the more CPU cycles it
takes to do an I/O. Typically you are doing 1000s
and 1000s of I/Os per second. Thats 100s of 1000s
of cpu cycles wasted per second.
- inefficient controller = more CPU cyles per
access. Maybe MANY more. This translates to
degradation of your CPU. The more traffic, the
more degradation. Whether you're on a gig network
or a 100Mb/s network, the efficiency of the
controller will still eat up your cpu. Of course
if you're just doing IM or email, then you don't
get enough iterations per second to make a
difference. But on a server,or gaming machine or
anything on a broadband connection, you're just
killing your cpu using a crappy controller.

You'd be better off putting up an old 845 chipset
MB with an fxp controller running a 2.6Ghz
celeron than what you're running, for a lot less
money.

DT