Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 00:12:02 +1100
From:      "Richard Green" <rgreen@rainbow.net.au>
To:        <opel@conti.de>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help? Matrox unknown chipset (0x0521) rev. 1

sounds like the monitor you picked doesn't exist on  the monitor set-up bit
of XFree. try picking one of a spec which you think is equivanlent to the
one you have. are you getting a message saying something about it's can't
find a monitor definition  you are sure is there when you try for hight
resolutions? then it's definitely the monitor settings not the card. you are
just defaulting to a crap mode. it took me ages to find something which
worked, and even then i hadto extend the capacity of my monitor to work
in1024x768, but anything less is impossible to work with, even  on a 14"
screen. just makeyour fonts big,  and learn lots finding out how. everyones
hardware is different, so you just have to bite the bullet and read the
docs. every source of docs gives a bit of a differnt version of how  it
works, and eventually it makes enough sense to get  something to work. for
instance carefully reading the messages before thew actual error made me
realise no 1024 resolution within the sync freqs my monitor was capable of.
but it was only just missing the mark, so I extended the freq range just a
little (5%) and it works just fine. i know all the docs tell you not to do
this, but it seems to me there are crappy old monitors which can easity be
replaced for a few bucks at a second hand shop, then there are newer
monitors which are under warranty ('it was just after the the error message
about the domain server not being there, it just went black and smelled
funny...') . Part of the fun of designing and running a computer system is
learning how to it.