Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:21:00 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Latest round of bsd.*.mk changes

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 12:09:42AM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> Type: BUGFIX
> Title: Remove NetBSD and OpenBSD bits from bsd.port.mk
> Type: FEATURE
> Title: Add new DIRNAME macro
> /usr/bin/dirname.  All direct use of dirname in ports can be switched
> to this macro.

Why do we define a macro for every utility in /usr/bin?  Part of why we
started this was people kept using 'mkdir' and leaving off the "-p", so
Satoshi made that one a macro.  Also 'tar' lived in different places on
*BSD, so the TAR macro was created.

But what's so special about 'sort' and 'dirname' to need this treatment?
Do we assume the builder has zero $PATH at all?  About the only thing I
can see ${DIRNAME} and ${SORT} doing is lengthening the Makefile action
lines by 3 characters / invocation.