Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:47:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: md5 checksum server

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> As for how useful this really is...  Well, is it any harder to grab the
> MD5 sum from the vendor and compare yourself vs. doing a DNS lookup?
> Probably not.  Also, while the vendor sites/sums can certainly be
> compromised, some would argue adding a third-party source for the sums
> just creates another attack vector.

As an aside, what if someone worked up a standard/RFC detailing accepted
naming conventions for md5 sums.  If there was some standardization
(I.e. software.version.md5 in the same directory the distfile is retreived
from, many follow similar conventions already), then FTP clients
(including things like wget) could be modified to automagically compare
md5 sums on download when they exist.