Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 1996 16:59:47 -0400
From:      "Jacob M. Parnas" <jparnas@jparnas.cybercom.net>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, stesin@elvisti.kiev.ua, Kevin_Swanson@blacksmith.com, hardware@freebsd.org, bsdi-users@bsdi.com
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

In message <Pine.SV4.3.93.960630083916.8677B-100000@parkplace.cet.co.jp>you write:
>On Sat, 29 Jun 1996, Michael Smith wrote:
>
>> This is just stupid.  Look at the huge installed base of 14k and 28k
>> modems, and the phenomenal cost of ISDN services in most of the world.
>
>Japan is one of the places where it's relatively cheap.  Of course the
>cost of using a regular telephone line is outrageous compared to what
>we are used to in the US.
>
>mike

Things will change.  Remember how expensive V.34 or V.fast was at first,
or CD's or calculators, or digital watches, or P6 processors?  When they
were announced, the 200 Mhz ones were $1325 in Quant. 1000.  I've recently
seen the same thing for about $750, just about 9 months later.

Yes, today ISDN is expensive.  But I heard that in some parts of California
ISDN costs the same as regular analog phones.  This will spread.  Things are
not static, and just as I'm sure the designers of UARTs that couldn't go
faster than 19200 baud reliably even after problems with earlier ones and the
relatively low cost of much faster ones, felt that they were doing the best,
but for analog modems, most good connections these days are at 115, 200 baud.

So while ISDN isn't mainstream today that doesn't mean it won't be soon.

Jacob