Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 20:41:39 +0200
From:      "James Greenfield" <james@pagearts.co.za>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Pointing ndc at a different configuration file?

I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE, and up until now I've been running bind
8.2.3-T6B. I've just installed 8.2.3-REL (not having realised up until
recently that T6B is a beta release, and the security advisory for released
in Jan preceded my setting up of the box).

The system install (T6B) of named is in /usr/sbin/, while the ports install
(REL) is in /usr/local/sbin. It took a little while but I finally figured
out I need to run /usr/local/sbin/ndc instead of ndc (/usr/sbin/ndc is found
first in the path, what's the best way to change this? I don't want to
change the order of PATH)

My question is this: the system bind installation looks for named.conf in
/etc/namedb. The ports installation looks for /etc/named.conf. What's the
'right' way of changing this? Create a softlink from /etc/named.conf to
/etc/namedb/named.conf (like /etc/aliases)?

Sorry if this is obvious :)

James Greenfield