Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:29:43 -0500
From:      "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
To:        "Jason Andresen" <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: New IBM drive setting problem?

Here is my advice, since you have only one device per motherboard
ide controller this config should work, this means you have some
thing incorrect with the hardware. Open up the box and check out
that the components are plugged in the correct sockets on the
motherboard, that you are not using a 33 wire ribbon to the hard
drive, get the mfg and model number off the id plate of the HD and
look it up on the mfg web page to verify it's 100, there is a visual
difference in ide ribbons, 33 has bigger wires and 66 has smaller
wires and 66 of them. I do not know about 100 but it may also have a
special ribbon. Check with motherboard manufacture web page for a bios,
flash update and verify that you motherboard model does support ATA/100.

It's time you play detective.