Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:01:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Utz <utz@serv.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why is ghostscript so slow now? did i miss a setting?

hi greg, thanks for the feedback

response below..

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Sat, 28 March 1998 at 13:13:37 -0800, John Utz wrote:
> > hi;
> >
> > vital stats:
> >
> > 2.2.6-980323-BETA
> >
> > fake pentium amd p5 kr-100 32 meg o ram
> >
> > canon bj200ex printer
> >
> > gs 2.6.2 or gs 5.1.0
> >
> > this setup was perfectly tolerable with ghostscript and apsfilter in 2.2.5
> >
> > now it takes an hour to print two pages!
> >
> > it seems like gs has become de-niced down to turtle speed, or something
> >

> > the print speed is normal if i dont use ghostscript or apsfilter. and if i
> > do all the apsfilter stuff by hand it is still insanely slow, so the
> > problem appears to be a gs/lpd hose up?
>
> What are you printing?  I don't know the bj200ex (bubble jet?), but if
> you're printing complicated pictures, it could be that the printer is
> taking that long to accept all the data you're sending it.  That's
> particularly true for LaserJet 1 emulation.
>
> A couple of things to try:
>
> 1.  Convert to memory (i.e. just make an image for the printer) and
>     see how long that takes.

yah, i forgot to mention that in my first mail....i had actually
converted the file 'by hand' via invoking ghostscript to just convert the
file. that happens lickety split. actually getting the file printed is
what takes so long.

> 2.  Convert a simple printed text.

oh, epic bummer. :-( this *is* a text file. a 3 line .rhosts file.

and it takes an hour to print. lpd sends the head across once every 8
minutes or so on a single pass. this is pretty time consuming.

this hardware setup has run with gs for a couple years now, this is sort
of surprising.

i take it noobody else has had this sort of grief....