Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 1998 13:29:20 +0000
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@ics.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threaded X libs..

Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> Hi,
> I was trying to port a program which required thread safe X libs, so I
> recompiled XFree86 after editing the config file for FreeBS, and it seemed to
> work fine (OK, so I didn't exactly test it, but at least XInitThreads() now
> works :)
>
> Is there any reason why the FreeBSD version of XFree86 doesn't enable threads
> by default? Perhaps the port could have an option for it? (I can make a patch
> for the port to do so if it would be useful :)

When there's an officially released version of FreeBSD with threads,
then I'm sure the default will be to enable threads in XFree86.

The last time I tried building with threads, on some 3.0SNAP version,
things didn't work very well (and I haven't spent any time trying to
figure out why.)

> Also is there any chance that the thread cancellation routines will be
> implented any time soon? :)

In Xlib or in libc?

--
Kaleb