Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:53:32 +0100
From:      Jeff Penn <jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.6 sendmail: No local mailer defined

I had a problem with sendmail after upgrading from 4.5 to 4.6.  The
most likely cause is a mistake running mergemaster & mergemaster -C,
which caused the following problem:

jrpenn# tail /var/log/messages
Jun 24 21:21:04 jrpenn named[102]: db_load could not open: localhost-v6.rev: No
such file or directory
Jun 24 21:21:04 jrpenn named[103]: Ready to answer queries.
Jun 24 21:21:05 jrpenn sm-mta[115]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): No local mailer defin
ed
Jun 24 21:21:05 jrpenn sm-mta[115]: NOQUEUE: SYSERR(root): QueueDirectory (Q) op
tion must be set
Jun 24 21:21:24 jrpenn login: ROOT LOGIN (root) ON ttyv0
Jun 24 21:25:32 jrpenn su: jeff to root on /dev/ttyp1

I noticed that sendmail.cf consisted only of the comments at the head
of the file.  Restoring a backup copy appears to have resolved this
issue.  I also needed to touch /var/log/auth.log after syslogd
complained it was AWOL when starting up.

Any ideas what caused my problem? (I can't recall reading of anyone
else having problems).

I had a look at /etc/mail/Makefile & noticed the make cf option.
Running this created jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk with .mc & cf
extensions.  Do I only need to rename these files to create an
updated sendmail.cf?, or do I only need to rename freebsd.cf?
(apologies for not being brave enough to wade through the sendmail
documentation).

Should sendmail.cf be updated when running a new version of sendmail
to take advantage of new features?.

thanks
Jeff