Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:40:18 -0500
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, Freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netgraph bridge works on fxp0, fails on wi0

>>>>> "Brooks" == Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net> writes:

Brooks> On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 06:55:20PM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
Brooks> Bridging requires that you be able to send packets with the
Brooks> source MAC address set to the origionating station.  Cards
Brooks> supported by the wi card do not allow this so bridging doesn't
Brooks> work.  There does exist a driver to make this work, but it is
Brooks> not publicly avaiable and would be binary only if it were as
Brooks> it requires special firmware.

>>  Are there other wireless cards that allow this?  Why is this
>> feature turned off by these cards?

Brooks> I've heard rumors to the effect that it can work with an(4)
Brooks> cards, but haven't seen it done.  The feature is disabled so
Brooks> you have to buy an access point if you want a bridged network.
Brooks> The fact that it breaks vmware is mostly a side effect.

It would seem that it only takes one manufacturer to break this
cycle.  There was also more incentive to do this when access points
were $1000 instead of $149.

Didn't older access points simply consist of a router with a pccard
slot?  Would they be using custome firmware uploaded to the card?

Has someone been hacking on this?

Dave.