Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:46:55 -0500
From:      northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
To:        David@webedited.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hang after soft reboot.

>Hi,

Hello

>On a fresh, clean install of 4.7-RELEASE my (old) machine consistently
>hangs while booting after soft reboot. Powering down and back up again, or
>pressing the reset button will boot the machine, but if it is rebooted by
>the OS then it hangs after detecting the isa bus "isa0: <ISA bus> on
>motherboard".

This is usually a manifestation of old power interfaces (or lack
there-of) mingling with
devices that need to be told when to assert a RESET via power
management. For example,
I have a hurd of Compaq Deskpro that all use the old VIA 586 power
controller. Because
no OS (that I know of ... except for maybe win*?) has a driver for this
chip, I get the same
hang you talk about on a warm boot. Since the chipset isn't thunked
properly, it doesn't
let the ATA know to RESET. This can be a problem when probing the disk
for information,
but, normally doesn't affect loading the boot sector or the first couple
of cylinders. I forget
the restriction atm... Anyways, thats most likely your culprit.

>This is a normal boot up, with the hang point indicated:
><hangs here on soft reboot>
>ata0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 irq 14 on isa0
>ata1 at port 0x170-0x177,0x376 irq 15 on isa0

Solution? Never warm boot.
Don
P.S. if you keep warm booting you might corrupt the ATA