Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 02:42:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Forrest" <praxis@techpraxis.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Samba encrypted passwords and question to Ted Mittelstaedt...

That bit is in there because the older Samba versions
1.9 are very bad for Windows 2K systems (according to the
Samba site) and can affect data integrity, and I wanted to
strongly encourage (threaten?) anyone who was thinking
of running Samba to compile and install the current version
no matter what FreeBSD version they were running.

The older package that I did test with didn't have
encryption turned on.  Of course that was a bit of
hand-waving because you could have used a password server
(like an NT system) without going to the trouble of setting
up encryption on the Samba server.  Of course I don't
like that because if you do it you are just giving the
enemy one more reason not to run your stuff. :-)  So, I
feel if your going to run encryption on your network, you
set it up on the Samba server too.

Witht he 2.0X version of Samba, they took out all the
options for encryption, it's now compiled in by default.
So, yours supports encryption.

Before going further, as I mentioned in the book you want
to go into

/usr/ports/net/samba/work/samba-2.0.7/docs/textdocs

and read ENCRYPTION.txt

All the convert_smbpasswd script does (not binary) is
to change a 1.9.18 smbpasswd file format into a Samba
2.0 smbpasswd file format.  Did you have the older samba
version running?

In a nutshell, the way Samba handles the nonencrypted passwords
is the server takes the unencrypted password and crypts it and
matches the result with the UNIX system password file.  With
encrypted passwords, it cannot do this because the password is
already crypted when samba gets them.  Since the UNIX and Microsoft
crypting functions are different, the samba system has to maintain
2 duplicate password files, one with passwords crypted the Microsoft
way, the other with them crypted the UNIX way.  So, it has to
ge the cleartext password initially from the system admin when the user
is first set up, so it can create both different password files.
Thus, you have to use the smbpasswd program instead of the regular
passwd program.