Date:      23 Oct 2002 18:10:02 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Where are the 4.7 release sources?

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> The very simplistic answer is:
>
> 	a. Download all the files from
> 	   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE/src/
>
> 	b. Run the install.sh script as root.
>
> You simply can't get simpler instructions than these.

Maybe they'd make a good src/README.  I just took www.freebsd.org's
"Getting FreeBSD" link.  It takes you to the table of contents of
Handbook Appendix A where, if you don't give up at that point, you
can follow a "FTP" link which leads you to this helpful info:

    The official sources for FreeBSD are available via anonymous FTP
    from: ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/.

Then you get to poke around a big directory tree until you blunder
across releases/i386/4.7-RELEASE/src/.  Our intrepid OP apparently
managed to get that far, but was probably too worn down to try looking
for and decyphering the install.sh script.  The Handbook and FAQ don't
mention src/install.sh.