Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:41:19 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Kyle Pos <linkkyle@netscape.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Size of FreeBSD

On Thu, Mar 23, 2000 at 12:54:39PM -0800, Jim Mock wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 at 20:38:59 +0100, Kyle Pos wrote:
> > I want to install FreeBSD by downloading it from a FTP-server. But
> > I'd like to know how many MB it is.
> > Thanx :-)
>
> It all depends on what you plan on installing.  You won't need
> everything right away.  What I suggest you do is a minimal install
> for now.. the bin/ and manpages/ bits only.. and then install the
> remaining parts you want (X, etc.) once you've got your FreeBSD box
> online.  It's usually easier that way instead of doing it in one big
> chunk.

This type of installation is what I did, last January, when I managed to
mess my 3.4-STABLE so much that it was, well, unstable ;)

Installing bin/, manpages/ and the ports/ tree took about 4.5 hours on
my 28.8 modem, which is not much.  The rest of the system, i.e. the
sources, or the distfiles of the ports you'll install later, are easy to
get later on, when you've managed to get the base system going.

- Giorgos Keramidas