Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 21:02:20 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What string to filter FreeBSD lists?

~
>  :0:
>  * ^Sender:.*owner-(freebsd-|)security.*
>  freebsd/security

The mh variant of that is:

  MHLIB=/usr/local/lib/mh
  .
  .
  :0
  * ^From owner-(freebsd-|)security.*
  |$MHLIB/rcvstore +freebsd/security

Note the missing ':' after the '0', which tells procmail not to attempt
to lock (not needed in this case - mh handles it's own locking where it
needs to do so). Procmail can also be fiddled to directly into mh folders,
but I found that some of mh's metadata isn't updated correctly and 'new'
mail isn't marked as new.

I looked at slocal when I converted to mh, but it seemed too limited
for what I was doing, so I stuck with procmail which has worked fine
for me for several years now.

Oh, and I have exmh set up for background flist, not inc, since procmail
handles my inbox as well.

>  ############## Weed out duplicate messages sent to many mailing-lists ######
>
>  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
>  | formail -D 32768 msgid.cache

Yep, this is a good idea too. It's surprising just how much this
catches. Personally I use only 16k, which seems to work for me,
but it is probably a function of just how much mail you receive. :)

Regard,
David

--
David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet