Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 07:12:38 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system/disk recovery tools ?

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 02:17:07 +1100 (EDT)  Darren Reed wrote:

[Someone wrote]
> > Some time ago I wrote a (really quick and dirty) little program which scanned
> > the disk for once existing file systems.

I've sent Luigi one.  It is probably just as quick and dirty as the
others.  (It is already in the list archives, from a previous
incident.)

> Does dumpfs exist on FreeBSD ?

Yes, but it (currently) doesn't take an alternate superblock number to
use.

This is becoming a FAQ.  Two enhancements to tools that might help
would be:

	o making newfs add superblock numbers to /etc/sbtab like
	  HP-UX does (caveats on / being mounted read-write etc)

	o adding an option to dumpfs to tell it to find superblocks

If there is (some sort of) consensus I'll write some code.  (More
promises, yikes.)

Regards,

Giles