Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:12:06 +0100
From:      "Mark Hughes" <mark@dvdnews.co.uk>
To:        "Andrew Reid" <andrew.reid@plug.cx>, <evilfry@sg.freebsd.org>
Cc:        "smoke" <smoke@scrtc.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: adsl on freebsd 4.3

> Your ADSL Interface may be something that needs to be configured. I know
> the USB Alcatel Device needs a kernel recompile in Linux -- I'm not even
> sure if FreeBSD supports it. USB is icky, though :-)

There is now a FreeBSD driver for this modem - see

http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/

Can't vouch for how well it works myself, as I've not got ADSL yet, but I've heard from
others who say it works better than using the same modem under Windows or Linux, and the
driver is easier to use than the linux one it seems - ICBW but I think no kernel recompile
is required.

Hope this helps.

Mark