Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 11:54:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bruce Petro <bpetro@usa.com>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is there a summary of man stuff?

Thanks to everyone who replied - I've learned:

1. Sending mail from mail.com does not wrap. I need
   to hit enter myself and wrap it.
2. Mike wins the most helpful answer!  See text below.
3. Several folks seem to be thinking an initial man page
   may be missing for lame-brains like me, hopefully someone
   can add one.
4. Finally, there is xman if you have xwindows that is more
   helpful.
5. One possible addition for someone - produce some summary
   and subject-related html pages for this (or share where
   there are some).

Thanks Again!
Bruce.

--------- Answer from Mike --------------
Actually, whatis (aka "man -k") will try and do that if you
ask for all pages that match an empty keyword. Sorting it is
then easy:

	man -k '' | sort -f

Getting things sorted by section is a bit harder, but this does it:

	man -k '' | sed -e h -e 's/).*//' -e 's/.*(//' -e G -e 's/\n/:/' | sort -n

Ok, the sed script ought to go in a file, but then I couldn't
do it on one (long) line :-).