Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:31:59 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, "Robert A. Bruce" <rab@cdrom.com>, freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fault tolerance issues

On Thu, Mar 12, 1998 at 08:16:47AM -0800, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> On 12-Mar-98 Robert A. Bruce wrote:
> > Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net> said...
[SNIP]
> > What is "HA"?
>
> 2.  High Availability.  AKA HAS, High Availability Server.  A set of
>     features that allow a computer to continue and provide service with no
>     loss of data and only a brief interruption of service, in the fase of a
>     single failure.
>
> HAS are typically said to be SPOF (Single Point Of Failure) free.  They are
> designed to have the ability to tolerate any single component falure.
>
> If there is interest, we can start a discussion on what such a computer
> looks like.

They typically are tall, slender boxes with a piano-laquer black
finish, dark blue (almost glowing) side "fins", with soft ventillation
holes along the front, and a little oval logo in the top left corner
that reads "IBM"..  ;-)

-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark