Date:      Wed, 26 Nov 2003 14:17:37 -0800
From:      Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Starting new entries in /etc/rc.conf

On Nov 26, 2003, at 07:11, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Wed, 26 Nov 2003 it looks like Kevin Stevens composed:

> Both these machines are on the network via cat5 and I can't
> remember if I had to unplug the serial to reboot the FreeBSD box
> before and not affect the Ultra-10 or what I did. I know now
> that the serial cable is hooked up so I'll wait till I get home.
>
> I do recall that when Solaris would "halt" I would have to
> serial in and I think type "go" if I'm not mistaken -- then it
> would resume running.  It was in a protective sleep mode if I
> recall and did not need to be rebooted.

Yes, that's what I described; "go" is the command to exit OpenBoot and
resume program (OS) execution.  It isn't a sleep mode, btw, everything
is still spinning and humming.

My worst instance of this was working (desperately) on a new Sun blade
server trying to get some network modelling software running.  My
connection was via PC laptop COM1, and as I was typing someone
periodically would hook up to the IR link on the laptop to transfer
some more files to me to copy over.  Every time they did so, the Sun
would apparently crash.

The IR link set itself up as COM3 on a shared interrupt with COM1,
every time it saw activity on the port it invisibly interrupted the
terminal session and the Sun was dropping into OpenBoot.

Oops.

KeS