Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 09:41:45 -0400
From:      Technical Information <tech_info@threespace.com>
To:        FreeBSD Advocacy <advocacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ExBSD

At 07:24 AM 5/23/2001, you wrote:
>I'd say that unix is best used by the "average"' person in an environment
>where there is at least one person who knows unix well.
>
>Hmmm... that's true of Windows and MacOS also. So much for the
>user-friendly approach.

Even if this is true, I can probably find a dozen people who know Windows
well before I ran into one person who knew UNIX well.  And then I'd have to
ask whether he was using my particular brand of UNIX.

My opinion/experience is that Windows is much easier to use than UNIX for
most desktop tasks, and things like the "Internet Connection Sharing
Wizard" make setting up DHCP servers much easier than editing routing
tables and config files in /etc.  I don't think Windows offers as much
flexibility/power/stability as UNIX, but for lots of common tasks it's
"good enough."  I believe that the ease of use factor and the easy to use,
easy on the eyes user interface is one of the big reasons why Windows will
continue to prevail on the desktop.  And the application availability can't
be beaten.

--Chip Morton