Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:30:55 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        David Daugherty <doc@wcug.wwu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: config KERNEL

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 10:22:12PM -0800, David Daugherty wrote:

> I'm trying to follow along with UPDATING and I'm going from 3.4-stable
> to 4.0 stable. The kind of errors I'm getting are really impossible
> to search fbsd's site for. Can someone please direct to documentation
> or tell me what I'm doing wrong with how the kernel must now be
> configured?

Read the file /usr/src/UPDATING.  One of the things mentioned in there
is that you have to use the new `config' utility to configure a kernel,
and that you have to compile/boot a new kernel before compiling the rest
of the world.

Make a habit of reading UPDATING before doing compiles.  It will save
you from a lot of bad things ;)

- Giorgos Keramidas