Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:44:45 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        David Fuchs <beastie@beastie.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN vs. DNews

-On [20000120 22:43], Steve Hovey (shovey@buffnet.net) wrote:

>INN tends to need MMAP to work - it also requires a lot of ram if you have
>a full feed etc.  We had to leave it for dnews for those and other
>reasons.

And since mmap() on 3.x has some problems (largely due to the VM system
intricacy which changed a lot in 4.0) it would probably be better to use
it on 4.0 systems.

But Dnews and INN comparisations aren't really fair.  Last time I looked
at DNews it did more of a job as per leafnode(+), only fetching those
groups which are read.  INN is a full fledged newsserver as per
Typhoon/Breeze class.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd W/Asmodai         asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/B-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best