Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:28:17 -0800
From:      "Jason Halbert" <res02jw5@gte.net>
To:        "Stephen Fisher" <sfisher@nmia.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Hostname/IP--How to

From: "Stephen Fisher" <sfisher@nmia.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 3:00 PM

> Actually your best bet is to use your network IP address (even if
it's a
> private one) if you have a NIC card:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 10.1.1.1 machine machine.domain.com
>
> If you need to modify the 127.0.0.1 (running TCP/IP but no NIC card
with an IP
> on it) then I would put something like:
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost machine machine.domain.com
>
> That way 127.0.0.1 looks up as localhost, at least first.  And you
can still
> lookup localhost to be 127.0.0.1 :-)
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 04:45:51PM -0600, Daniel Domengeaux wrote:
>
> > | How do I make my hostname (ex: seal.fans.com) bind with the IP
address
> > | so when I ping, ftp, or telnet to that UNIX box, I can type in
the
> > | hostname instead of the IP address?
> >
> > edit the /etc/hosts
> >
> > 127.0.0.1        seal.fans.com    seal

Hmm.. I don't think this is what he's looking for..

If he wants to be able to connect to his box from the net using a
domain name instead of an IP he will need to have a DNS server point
the domain to an [his] IP (preferably static).

If you want reverse DNS look-ups to work you would need to have the
authoritative DNS point forward and back to the domain and IP.  Meaing
your ISP would have to be kind enough (e.g. beg them) to make an entry
on their DNS server to point for you.

Jason P. Halbert
Transmitter Maintenance Engineer
KDAF-TV WB33