Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 22:00:17 PST
From:      "Robert Null" <frumpler@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   user-PPP, mgetty, WinNT

Hi all.

Got my FreeBSD server up and running purty good now, but having a prob
accomadating the Ms. Windows users...

I can connect using pap fine from my 2.2.7 box to my 2.2.7 server via
modem, using the newest user-ppp from www.awfulhak.org (which works
great :) The one that came with the realease was extremely broken.)

Using mgetty, works fine.. now the problem.

Whenever I try to connect using a Win95 or WinNT DUN adapter, it
goes no farther than the "Verifying username/password"

(a quick look in the /var/log/ppp.log confirms that it HAS already
gotten past PAP, and is in the process of negotiating a connection
between 127.0.0.1 and 127.0.0.1 (!?!?) )

I have the setup 'zactly the same as for the BSD dialin, which could
very well be the prob.. it's basically

ppp.conf
---
papcuaa0:
 enable pap
 set ifaddr x.x.x.x. 10.2.5.1 255.255.255.255
---
(regarding the 10.2.5.1; I use natd)

also appropriate username/pw combos in ppp.secret

Connections have successfuly been made using the after-dial terminal,
so this problem seems to be mgetty/PAP related..

The Win side has nothing but the DNS set (haven't tried the auto-DNS
stuff yet; wanna get this working first.)

But on the good side, besides that everything works great! 'specially
since I upgraded ppp, the old one was sooo broken :)

I got wine to compile, (much better than I expected) ... seems all the
probs I had with it came from not including all the SYSV options that
can be found in LINT ...

I also installed Luigi Rizzo's sound driver in order to get the linux
real player 5.0 working; works wonderfully as well..

Anyway, I am firmly rooted in BSD; but I guess my Win friends aren't
happy enuff with wine's (alpha) stability to switch quit yet ;-)

Any suggestions - please email to
frumpler@hotmail.com
since I don't currently subscribe to the mailing list :/

Thnks!

-form