Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 02:52:43 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, <freebsd@sysmach.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: dialup modem (some off topic stuff)

I think what the other manufacturers do is pump up the power.  I'm
not sure of the rules here anymore, at one time the limit was on
output power measured at the transmitter connection to the antenna,
but I think they changed it to be measured power radiated from the
device (which makes more sense of course)  So, if you
increase the antenna (in)efficiency you can increase the power applied
to the antenna by the transmitter circuit and stay within limit.

Of course, knowing the EU, they probably are all afraid of the phone
users getting cancer from cell phone radiation, so I would gess there's
more restrictions on radiated power (which is just what you want on
cell phones...NOT)

>>  They also want - COLORS!  (Check out the "decorator" phones on
>> Nokia's website) it's like the old joke about Apple Macintoshes that
>> goes "This year the new Wintel machine increased it's processing
>power
>> tenfold.  This year the new Macintosh has .... drumroll.....
>COLORS!!)
>>
>doesn't seem that Ted is an AppleMac fanatic :)  :)  :) There must be
>a use
>for them .......

MaxOS X comes to mind...