Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 08:48:06 +0100 (IST)
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        kdulzo@gerp.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ESS 1969 sound support?

On 16-Jun-00 Kevin M. Dulzo wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 09:41:37AM +0100, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
>>
>>         There was a patch by Takanori Watanabe that got the thing
>> recognised with the mixer working but no PCM. Unfortunately it no longer
>> applies cleanly.
>
>       It was a minor fix to add a NULL argument to the attach function
> if I remember correctly.  Is there any chance anyone would commit the mixer

        No, I know the one you are thinking of. It used to be quite easy to get
the thing recognised as a SBPro with about three lines in pcisupport.c, but
that stopped working for me at about the time the old sound stuff (voxware)
started moaning about compatability shims.

        Taknori Watanabe's patch (which I now have a variant that applies
cleanly to an up to date -STABLE if anyone wants it) is a rather more
sophisticated affair that makes sbc.c recognise the card and ess.c attempt to
drive it properly. I have been looking at it closely over the weekend and the
missing part seems to be the configuration of the on board DMA controller.
Tonight I intend to find some sample code that does it (the docs are
inscrutable) and patch it in.