Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 12:37:57 -0500
From:      Vlad <tmd@tmd.df.ru>
To:        Artem Koutchine <matrix@ipform.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which is the most secure and reliable ftp daemon

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:19:06PM +0300, Artem Koutchine (matrix@ipform.ru) wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just audited my system for security and it came up that i am
> running inetd ONLY because ftp daemon is needed.
>
> I know that thare are many good ftp daemons, but since
> i never tested any of them in real production environment
> i don't know which to pick.
>
> Please, share your experience with different ftp daemons.
> I need something very reliable, secure and configurable.
> Currently i am thinking about wu-ftpd and proftpd, but both
> of them have history of security flaws.
>
> If i find, i could finaly turn off inetd and save myself some
> RAM and maybe even tighten security.
>
> Regards,
> Artem

It is impossible to state that a certain daemon is the most secure one - all depends on the way you configure it and
the level of security of your whole system. Personally, I prefer PROFTPD (as most people do) over other alternatives,
particularly because of its fexible configuration. If you are planning to run anonymous ftp, then proftpd is
definitely your choice. If not, you might consider FBSD's ftpd, which is rather good (if you chroot users in their
directories/etc).

Hope that helps.

- --
 tmd