Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:33:22 PST
From:      "Don Morrison" <bombfree@hotmail.com>
To:        tomdean@ix.netcom.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: customising, compiling, and installing the kernel

>What is your disk configuration?
>How many disks are attached to what kind of controller?
>What DOs partitions are on the disks?
>
>When you encounter this problem, what is mounted?  What is the output
>of 'mount'?
>
>What does 'mount -u -a' do?

WOOHOO!! I figured it out! <G>  It was my /etc/fstab that needed
editing!   For some crazy reason, while the GENERIC kernel was running,
mount wouldn't care that my root slice was designated as /dev/wd1a in
/etc/fstab, but with the newly compiled kernel running, it would
complain:
 /dev/wd1a on /: Specified device does not match mounted device.

WIERD.  All I had to do was change it to /dev/wd1s1a and voila.  The
GENERIC kernel was 2.2.5R, the new kernel (which I'm running now:) is
2.2.6 (updated through cvsup.)  I guess 2.2.6 requires that fstab be
more explicit?

Anyways, thanks for the help, if you hadn't have pointed me towards
mount I'd be messing around with my config line forever.  I guess I had
a hard time separating the kernel messages (stuff you can get back from
dmesg,) and what comes after.  The kernel could give a sh*t about
explicitness on my config line; it's still set at wd1! :-)