Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 01:45:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Webmaster <webmaster@webfreaks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Webserver benchmarks? Ultra 2 vs. FreeBSD

On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, Webmaster wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am running a Sun Ultra2 with Netscape Enterprise server 3.5.1, also have
> P166 running 2.2.5-R and Apache 1.2.4.  Both are on 100/Ethernet.
>
> Is there a good reason why the P166 would bench at about 60 requests/second
> and the Ultra2 only about 15 requests/second?  These tests were run using 3
> NT workstations as "web" clients.
>
> My employer insists that this is wrong.  I used Web Bench 1.1 from ZDNet.

It could be anything.  Could be RAM, could be disk, could be server
configuration, could be your benchmarking setup.

Benchmarking is hard to do right and you can end up generating a lot of
data with hard numbers that are meaningless.  Ziff Davis has done it
enough times, and they write the software.  (although you have people in
one place writing it, people in another place doing the testing, and
people in a third place doing the article normally...)

Check the latency for the Solaris box.  If you are seeing consistent
~200ms latencies for all requests under all loads, you are probably
running into an interaction between NT's and Solaris's interpretations of
slow start.  If this is the problem, you can "fix" (ie. make it agree with
what NT wants) it on your Solaris box somehow, but this is a FreeBSD list
and I don't remember what to do.

Let me just say that as much as I like FreeBSD and Apache and think they
can perform very well when configured correctly, the difference in numbers
that you are seeing is not due to any inherent performance difference
unless your Ultra is massively underequipped in some way (eg. 8 megs of
RAM).

--
     Marc Slemko     | Apache Group member
     marcs@znep.com  | marc@apache.org