Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 22:07:03 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: non-Unix history (Was: FreeBSD vs linux)

Mike Meyer wrote:

> If you want to argue that one of the reasons that Unix failed on the
> desktop was that X allowed the users to run arbitrarily strange window
> managers, and most of those window managers allowed configuration to
> an extent that would require major rewrites of MacOS or Windows, I
> won't argue. I would claim that the kernel APIs being different were
> more of a reason, but that's just me.

Lets not forget that machines weren't as fast then as they are
now. We tried to switch to UNIX in that time, the heydays of UNIX
in that it got heralded everywhere as the new king of all systems.

That was in 1986/1987. In that specific market niche we were
operating in then a sanctioned - we're talking ambulant mental
health care institutions, government funded - conglomerate too
decided UNIX was the way to go.

Since the client base was moving to, in this case, Northern
Telecom Vienna machines we did too. No big deal, DataFlex ran fine
on everything including Vaxen <g>.

The box we got was a 6 MHz iAPX 286 with 5 MB RAM, 70 MB hard disk,
intelligent serial controller with 4 ports, CGA color <g> and
some very fine terminals. Some US$ 35K after developer discount.
Including Micro Soft Xenix III with SDK but we skipped the TCP/IP
pack, alas.

We were working with 5 persons on that box. We were the lucky
ones. There were institutions working with over 16 persons on
a slightly bigger box (had a 8 MHz 80286 ;) running stuff like
wordprocessing (Lyx? nah), spreadsheet and IS apps. There were
a lot of complaints to be heard.

So we went back to selling IMS, nay L/F Technologies S-100
boxes running TurboDOS <g>. Novell wasn't quite there yet.

Sure, if you had an Apollo or a Sun station life was fine. But
most businesses (and like organisations) didn't. Then life was
not so great.

Next thing you knew you got System V in a version per hardware
manufacturer. Sinix, Ultrix, Whateverix. Novell had it easy. By
the time X got both workable *and* affordable there was no beating
the PC lead. Lotus ruled and WordStar was king, then WordPerfect.
Neither of which ran on UNIX or worked with X.

To top it all off, MS introduced OS/2 3.0, sorry, NT 3.1. To go
after the Novell market. They got it, too. The only slipup they
made was releasing, let us say, products that weren't quit there
yet <g>. So they lost trust.

Around that time a certain Linus released some sort of virus
on the 'Net ;). It has rekindled interest in UNIX. Maybe even
a sort of second coming <g>. Or at least introduced a second heyday!

Nobody in its right mind believed Linux would grow this far. I do
not have a right mind ;). I'm more left wing <g>.

Roelof

--
Home is where the (@) http://eboa.com/ is.
Nisser home -- http://nl.nisser.com/