Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:42:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Gerard Samuel <gsam@trini0.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSH, Sessions, Connections from the outside.

On 2002-08-29, Gerard Samuel scribbled:

# Hey all.  I used to have people connect to my firewall box using a
# windows prog called WinSCP.
# I guess with the recent changes with ssh/scp family they are unable to
# connect to it.
# They keep getting an option to enter a session password.

[snip]

# If you don't mind, and if you have access to WinSCP or something
# similar, can you try connecting to ->
# www.trini0.org:22
# username/pass: developer/awol
#
# to help me figure out what I need to do to resolve my problem.

I am unable to ping the machine nor am I able to get a port scan on the
machine. Is your firewall ruleset set to deny all incoming traffic? Make
suire that you allow the necessary ports and possibly ICMP traffic
through. Just to confirm that the hostname points to the right IP
address, trini0.org and www.trini0.org are resolving to 68.39.132.244.

Which firewall program (ipfw/ipfilter, pf, etc.) are you using? Thanks.

--

Linh Pham                                         lplist@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org