Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:02:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
Cc:        questions freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS, no luck :-(

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, John Kenagy wrote:

> > DId you find *all* the man pages, esp. yp(8) and ypserv(8)?
>
> If its possible, the characters are faded from over use.;-)
> I feel that I'm missing something crashingly obvious, but what?

Just checking :)

> > > Since I cannot log on to any users in the map I think the append never
> > > happens. What, exactly is the syntax of the "+" key usage in this
> > > implementation.
> >
> > +::::::::, I think.  Count my colons, it should correspond to the number
> > of fields in /etc/passwd.
>
> In the book by Stern (O'Reilly), the fields are sometimes filled with
> zero or, an asterisk, as in +:*::0:0:::: etc. for expanding group
> and user IDs. This is also used to replace some of the fields in the
> global map with local values. The asterisk is for password protection.
> Are these syntactic conventions for the Sun platform or general to
> FreeBSD also?

I would think no -- the specified values would *override* those in the
map, and I don't think you want to download a map that has a bunch of
accounts as root:wheel with logins disabled. :)

Note that FreeBSD's implementation of NIS was developed independently of
Sun's, following their specifications.  No doubt some inconsistencies
exist between the two.  i.e, we use ypserv and Sun uses ypinit.

> Oh, well, I do this for the challenge, right? ...right? ...?

Yes, and hopefully will write documentation afterward :)

My laptop has an unsupported PCCARD controller and I don't have another
crashbox or I'd experiment with this more seriously.