Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 2000 12:32:58 +0100
From:      Michael Class <michael_class@hp.com>
To:        Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network performance-problem

Matthew Thyer wrote:

> Michael Class wrote:
> > i am seeing a problem with 5.0-current (from 14.12.00) and a 3COM
> > 3CCFE575CT Lancard (pc-cardbus) using the xl-driver.
>
> > Why behaves my FreeBSD-machines worse then the other boxes? Any Ideas?
>
> Make sure you are running with the TCP/IP NewReno optimisation turned
> off.  There are bugs in the TCP/IP NewReno code that result in bad
> packets and hence lots of retransmission with generally reduced network
> performance.

It seems that NewReno is switched on by default in current.
Unfortunately switching off NewReno does not change the problem. In
times of very high network-traffic I am still unable to use the network.
The system does not even respond to a ping where as all other systems I
have (HPUX 10.20, 11.0 and NT4) behave as expected: slow response-times,
but still working and ping-able.

At home I am using this Laptop in a 100MB-Network and am able to almost
saturate the link without any problems. Could it be that this is just
happening for multicast-packets (that's what the high network-traffic
is)?

Anything else I could check?

TIA

Michael

Michael Class                            E-Mail: michael_class@hp.com
E-Business Solution Division             Phone:  +49 7031 14-3707
                                         Fax:    +49 7031 14-4505
Hewlett-Packard GmbH, PO Box 1430, Mailstop ESD2, 71004 Boeblingen
Managing Directors: Rainer Geissel (Chairman),Rainer Erlat, Heribert
                    Schmitz, Hans-Jochen Lueckefett, Fritz Schuller
Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Joerg Menno Harms
Commercial register: Amtsgericht Boeblingen HRB 4081