Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:53:47 -0600
From:      "Mark Wright" <mwright@pro-ns.net>
To:        "Hector" <zips@zips.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't do an ftp install

Yes, NAT and a firewall.  However, other machines pulling their ip from the
dhcp server - both an apple and nt laptop - can ftp to ftp.freebsd.org.
They can also ping the box on which I'm installing.  I tried using the fixit
disk, and I have the same problem - ftp hangs when I "ftp ftp.freebsd.org".
It seems to be failing in the name lookup.  The /etc/resolv.conf file
(cat'ed from the fixit prompt, after selecting media in the custom
installation and having it time out looking for ftp.freebsd.org) looks like:

search
nameserver x.y.z.w1
nameserver x.y.z.w2

The empty search line looks like trouble.  Is that my problem (and why?  I
entered a domain name and hostname when in 'select media')?  Or is that just
because the select media step aborted because it failed.

mark.