Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:50:55 -0400
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   fetchmail protocol error caused by DNS timeout - solution?

Some spam messages I get come from invalid ips (here I mean ips
which have no rDNS mapping) which, when looked up in DNS, cause
very long pauses in processing.  When this happens during a run of
``fetchmail,'' the fetchmail session dies (after DNS returns) with
a protocol error, presumably because the mail server at the other
end of the fetchmail connection gave up waiting for my system to
continue downloading messages.  I don't see any settings for
``fetchmail'' or ``named'' (I run my own nameserver) that might
help me...

So I am seeking a solution here.  Please respond directly to me to
make sure I don't miss the reply; copying the list is also fine with
me, since I run a ``procmail'' rule that obliterates dups anyway. :)

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com