Date:      Sat, 2 Sep 2006 19:18:04 +0800
From:      ke han <ke.han@redstarling.com>
To:        Keith Phipps <keith.phipps@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Sparkling Brand New FreeBSD Admin

Keith, welcome to the party!!!
1 - getting a solid handle on using installing/config/upgrading ports
is key...
2 - the harder step is being able to "rebuild world" and possibly
make changes to the "kernel" config.
3 - differences in config files and management between 4.x and 6.1 is
a bit wide, but well documented.

The above are well covered in the handbook and there are some good
howtos you can search for as well.
As to your boss's mention of integrating PHP, MySQL "into the
kernel".. I'm pretty sure you will only need to use the ports
installs of these apps ;-)

For server deamons (not GUI stuff), FreeBSD is the easiest game in town.

ke han