Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:54:24 -0700
From:      Joshua Lokken <jolok@myrealbox.com>
To:        FreeBSD quest <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

I am running 4.6.2 release on a Pentium 150 box as a gateway/firewall.  The
same box also runs apache2.  I am confused about a few things.  I am
assigned an IP via DHCP, and I use dns2go for dynamic DNS.  I guess my
problem is keeping things straight.  For example, now that I have
joshualokken.com, and am using dns2go, do I use their name servers
exclusively, or do I still need the name servers assigned by my ISP?  I am
trying to write working firewall rules, and something's not right.  Here's what I
have:

#
$ns1="isp.name.server.1"
$ns2="isp.name.server.2"
# ...
$fwcmd $flags add allow udp from $ns1 to any in via $oif
$fwcmd $flags add allow udp from $ns2 to any in via $oif
# ...

Do I need to make additional entries to allow dns2go through, or do I need to
use dns2go's name servers exclusively, allow them, and do away with the isp
name servers?  I am confused, any help is appreciated, thanks.

Joshua Lokken

One doesn't have a sense of humor.  It has you.
                -- Larry Gelbart