Date:      Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:42:28 +1000
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atomic.h vs atomic.s

Hi Drew,

> OK, I've put sync's all over the atomic code and that didn't help.
> Maybe its a pmap problem.  I notice that programs will
> occasionally abort, then run OK the second time I try them.

 Actually, I think it's a simple problem: the atomic_* routines don't
disable interrupts, so there's a window between the initial load
and the reservation.

 I have had problems with this type of thing recently, most notably with the
value of td_intr_nesting_level going negative, which I worked around by
not re-enabling interrupts in the OpenPIC code.

 Does this sound plausible to you ?

 On the bright side, does this also mean that you have built a
kernel natively ? I haven't tried that yet :-)

later,

Peter.