Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:38:00 +0700
From:      Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: Adore worm

Dear All,

thanks so far for good advices.

On my site, there is a webmail form, which is VERY rarely used. About 20
minutes before the hijack, there were three mails coming from that form,
where the sender gave addresses etc. in Romania...

Status update here:

I am right now in the background using an FTP client to backup the whole
directory structure, so that I can later browse faster and check
modification dates etc. Will still take some time until that is finished
over the slow line here.

The only "good" thing: I have access to another FreeBSD 4.2 server, which
has got patched. Problem is only, that this is a custom build (virtual
hosting), so I am not too sure.

And for the time being, I assume, that the intruder "just" installed the SW
and didn't do more. Means: I will try to find out what happened, and if
possible restore without going through a re-install.

My questions:
1. Any problem, if I download "ps" and the patched "telnetd" from the good
site and just replace on the corrupted site?

2. I tried to patch as written in SA-01:49, but the directory /usr/src/ is
empty, and when I run the "patch -p ..." command, I get:
>Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
>The text leading up to this was:
>--------------------------
>|Index: libexec/telnetd/ext.h
>|===================================================================
>|RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/libexec/telnetd/ext.h,v
>|retrieving revision 1.8
>|retrieving revision 1.10
>|diff -u -r1.8 -r1.10
>|--- libexec/telnetd/ext.h      2000/11/19 10:01:27     1.8
>|+++ libexec/telnetd/ext.h      2001/07/23 22:00:51     1.10
>File to patch:

What should I enter here???
The documentation says nothing.

TIA,