Date:      Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:39:54 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var error

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2003-07-09T08:36:50Z, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery@ece.cmu.edu> writes:
>
> > Install sysutils/lsof and use it to find what program has a deleted file
> > open on /var; kill that program, and the space will be reclaimed.
>
> I see that advice a lot.  Is lsof inherently superior to `fstat' in the base
> system?

You don't _need_ lsof, it just ties things neatly together for you. If
you don't have lsof (for whatever reason), you can scan down /var
looking for "missing" open inodes - eg, the script at

	http://ioctl.org/unix/scripts/openfiles

does that.

...and then three milkmaids turned up
(to the delight and delactation of the crowd).