Date:      Sat, 7 Mar 1998 02:38:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "William R. Somsky" <wrsomsky@halcyon.com>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        heller@cdnow.com, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, vance@usq.edu.au, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bind

> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org

> >   What kind of process do you do to get packages in shape for
> > inclusion?  Other than the "it compiles out of the box" source code,
> > what tests are run, or at least, what has kept perl5 out of the
> > FreeBSD package?
>
> They need to build with Berkeley Make, e.g. "bmaked".
>
> For references, see /usr/src/contrib and some of the packages
> already there.

Um... I'm confused... /usr/src/contrib looks like the original code
to these things.  At least in -stable.  Isn't /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin
the "bmake-ified" versions where they're actually built from?

And we're talking about making perl5 the "default" perl,
ie the perl in /usr/bin/perl -- as opposed to the "port" perl,
/usr/local/bin/perl, which already exists and works, right?

I was thinking of taking a look at this, and rapidly saw that it's
not a trivial task, so had to skip it.  But for future reference,
I assume what's wanted here is to unpack, pre-"configure" and
"bmake-ify" any such package so that it builds as part of, and
in the same style as, a "make world" -- as opposed to the "use
the packages own configure script, but trigger the right responses"
that the ports use?