Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 04:09:52 -0500
From:      "Adam Maas" <mykroft@explosive.mail.net>
To:        "Wes Peters" <wes@softweyr.com>, "David Gilbert" <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Preferred Gigabit interfaces for -CURRENT

Likely part of the performance issue was due to the Chipset of the
motherboard. Your typical 32bit 33MHz PCI bus is going to be marginal for
routing GigE traffic, just due to bus bandwidth limitations, but it'll
handle multiple 100BaseTX cards just fine. While a higher-end setup like a
Serverworks chipset, with a 64bit, 66MHz bus will handle the traffic better.
OF course, if you really want good routing performance on  a*BSD platform,
you should be looking at a Juniper M20 or M40.

Adam