Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 2015 08:34:37 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade question?

--j3FUCVGD4Xos9O7pI4MuToPDCT9vSK4jd

On 14/12/2015 22:34, Bryan Albright wrote:
> Doing a buildworld/buildkernel/mergemaster ... but wasn't sure if
> I should do/have to do a port update between 8.4 to 10.2 -- I've gone
> from single major releasesfor years now... this is the first time I've
> done 2 major releases in a single "session" and  was looking for
> advice it it would be better to upgrade ports at the 9.x step before I
> did the OS updgrade to 10.2 =20
>=20
> I'm honestly okay with either...

You don't need to update your ports until you've upgraded all the way to
10.2.  However, be careful about removing old shared libraries or most
of your ports will stop working.  You will have enough to be able to
upgrade your system with just what is in the base system, but it can be
a drag if your favourite editor stops working.

Installing the compat8x and compat9x ports before you begin will help
things keep running smoothly.

	Cheers,

	Matthew