Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 1996 09:30:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Carey Nairn <cp_nairn@cc.utas.edu.au>
To:        Steve Sims <SimsS@IBM.Net>
Cc:        allenh@wtrt.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: need help with samba and win95

You can use the Samba server as the browse master via nmbd (which you
have to have running to enable browsing) and the smb.conf file.  The
problem I have with this (using samba-1.9.16p9) is that nmbd crashes and
dumps core as soon as I try to browse from my win95 box.  has anyone else
had this problem ?

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Steve Sims wrote:

> While this is, strictly, a Win'95 question and not a FreeBSD one, I'll try to
> help in what little way I can....
>
> >From your description, it sounds like the network doesn't have (or, at any
> rate, the Win'95 box can't see) a browse master.  Typically a Windows NT
> server or a box running "real" WINS will be the master browser for a segment.
>
> Try right-clicking Network Neighborhood and selecting Properties.  If you've
> got "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks" at the bottom of the
> installed components list, double click it.  You'll see a list of properties.
>  Set "Browse Master" to "Enabled", Apply and (when asked) reboot.  Should
> work.
>
> (You'll need to have File and Printer sharing enabled on the Win'95 box to do
> this.)
>
> In the Samba distribution there's a file called "BROWSING.TXT", refer there
> for more help if this doesn't cut it.
>
> ...sjs...
>
> =====
> I have a box running 2.1.5-Release, and am installing Samba on it.  When
> trying to "see" this box from a win95 client, I have the following problem.
>

>   When I open network neighborhood, the only entry is "entire network".
> When I double click "entire network", I am greeted with the error message
> "unable to browse network".
>
> I can right click network neighborhood, select find computer, type in the
> host name, and it will find the box.  I can then double click the host name
> and get the list of shares.
>
> I have been working with the smb.conf file, and have spent time with the
> man pages and the samba web pages, but I can't seem to resolve this
> problem.  Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Allen Hyer
> System Administrator
> West Texas Rural Telephone

Cheers,
Carey

| Carey Nairn                     | email : Carey.Nairn@its.utas.edu.au |
| Infrastructure Services         | phone : (03) 6226 7419              |
| Information Technology Services | fax   : (03) 6226 7898              |
| University of Tasmania.         | int'l : (+61 3)                     |