Date:      20 Feb 2000 22:58:04 -0800
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Qt/KDE upgrade path

 * From: Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>

 * I am beginning to retest everything that depends on the Qt/KDE
 * libraries, in light of the many fixes that have been made to said ports.
 * Some of the diffs are making their way in PRs right now as part of
 * steps 1 and 2 below.
 *
 * I would like to suggest the following upgrade path:
 *
 * 1) Upgrade Qt from 1.42 to 1.45. Modify bsd.port.mk as needed.

I've just committed the qt upgrade after a repo copy.  I'll commit the
bsd.port.mk change and remove qt142 after looking at how the other
ports behave.  (The bsd.port.mk change is already in the tree used for
package building.)

 * 2) Fix all C{C,XX}{FLAGS} problems in said ports.

Sure, go ahead. :)

 * ---3,4 done fairly quickly, probably within 24 hours---
 * 3a) Modify bsd.port.mk further to USE_NEWGCC-ify Qt.

Don't worry about USE_NEWGCC.  The next release is from 4-current,
where USE_NEWGCC is a no-op anyway.  We can fix that up after the
release.

 * 3b) Ensure that all kde*11 non-i18n ports work and upgrade them first.
 * 4) Fix each other Qt/KDE-based port, one by one. This can be done fairly
 *    quickly if the diffs are ready.

So, are they all ready? :)

 * 5) Some ports will be left in the dust because of their old code. We
 *    will deal with each on a port-by-port basis.
 *
 * Since we are so close to the Ports Freeze date, I believe Satoshi will
 * probably object to doing this intricate process, other than steps 1 and
 * 2. So for the time being any port that depends on USE_NEWGCC'd Qt/KDE
 * shlibs will be broken for -STABLE. Some said ports have already be
 * committed as such.

I won't mind if -stable breaks for awhile if that means we can get a
set of better qt/kde packages in 4.0-release.

 * I will need the following help:
 *         1) Asami-san committing to ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk as needed.
 *         2) (Kind) committer(s) to spend some time working with me to get
 *            these fixes committed.

As I said above, the new qt145 port is already committed, so go ahead
and commit other stuff (well, you aren't a committer so bug billf or
someone).

Satoshi