Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:52:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>
To:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
Subject:   Re: IP redirects

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Blaz Zupan wrote:

> I have a machine connected to a subnet where I have two routers - one is a
> Cisco connected to our main satellite link, the other is a Livingston
> OR-ST which is the ISDN backup link. When we switch over to the backup
> link, the redirections start piling up on the FreeBSD box, because the
> default route points at the Cisco. When the Cisco comes back up, all those
> redirections cause havoc - the OR-HS's default route points to the (now
> down) ISDN link, which means most of the traffic from the BSD box goes to
> a nonworking link. There are (AFAIK) three solutions:

Are the hosts that are being redirected properly redirecting?  We have
several Cisco routers on our backbone...and two of them are "default
gateways".

Say I ping an address from the UltraSparc on my desk.  When I ping
something that ISN'T on the other side of my gateway (which
amounts to everything), the USparc SHOWS the redirect.  But it only shows
it ONCE, because after that, it "gets a clue".  We have some older digital
"Unix like things" that do NOT get a clue when they are
redirected...that's very annoying, because then the default gateways are
working harder than they should have to because they are redirecting ALL
the packets sent.  Ick.

Andrew Short                                            Colossians 3:23
ashort@concentric.net                http://www.concentric.net/~ashort/