Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:04:36 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        Steve Kudlak <chromexa@ovis.net>
Cc:        "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD usage in safety-critical environments

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 02:03:32PM -0400, Steve Kudlak wrote:
> Is there a place for *BSD security freaks to go and discuss systems?
> I get lots of security questions, usually these are broad level questions
> and nothing like the "government authority certification body" sorts
> of things. Usually they are the usual user questions that come to
> systems people. The folks that faint when they see me reading
> FreeBSD hackers and go: "How can you read that..." As an aside
> right now my big thing is convincing people in remote areas that
> *nix, FreeBSD et al provide a clear and better alternative to windows.

Your question is a bit off-topic in terms of certification,
although security is an important part of safety.

See the list of FreeBSD mailing lists:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

freebsd-security or freebsd-security-notifications might be appropriate for
your needs.

There is a lot of FreeBSD security-related work going on in the
TrustedBSD project ( http://www.trustedbsd.org ).

Another BSD project, OpenBSD ( http://www.openbsd.org ), has security
and safety as its primary focus.
--